Commercial trucks include 18-wheelers, big rigs, tractor trailers and specialty trucks. Truck companies, owners, maintenance companies and drivers are required to make sure their trucks are safe and roadworthy. Tire manufacturers must ensure that their tires are designed and produced according to specific safety standards. When tire failure results in a crash-related injury or death, the responsible parties must be held accountable for their negligence. The Law Firm of Shepard & Haven represents victims of truck accidents that were caused by truck tire blowouts and tire failure. A complimentary case evaluation is available to discuss your options.
Causes of Tire Blowouts and Tire Failures
There are numerous causes of tire blowouts and tire failures in large trucks, including the following:
- One of the most common causes of tire failure is improper inflation
- Tire air pressure must be closely monitored
- Over-inflation and under-inflation causes improper, irregular tire wear and shortens the life of the tire
- Under-inflation has a direct effect on weakening the adhesion between rubber and steel cords
- Under-inflation results in excessive heat build-up in tires and may cause instant blowouts
- Over-inflation increases the chance of a blowout due to excessive exposure and sensitivity
- Overloading the vehicle exerts excessive pressure upon the tires and can cause sudden blowouts
Tire Failure Study
A Large Truck Crash Causation Study was conducted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to determine the factors involved in large trucks weighing more than 10,000 pounds. One of the three critical events involved vehicle systems failure – including tire failure and blowouts.
- Tire blowouts and other tire problems were involved in 6% of the studied crashes
- Tire problems affected 8,000 of the estimated 141,000 large trucks
- All tire failures studied resulted in injury or death
Complimentary Consultation with a Sacramento Truck Tire Blowout Personal Injury Attorney
If you were injured by a crash that was caused by a truck tire blowout or failure, you may seek compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost income, property damage and more. The Sacramento Law Firm of Shepard & Haven provides aggressive, experienced legal representation; they have served thousands of clients throughout the years. There are no legal fees involved unless your case is settled or won. Shepard & Haven represents personal injury clients in Elk Grove, Granite Bay, Modesto, Yuba City, Sacramento County and elsewhere throughout the state. A free consultation is available by calling 916-877-9443.