Burns are amongst the most agonizing forms of pain known to humankind. Burns can instantly melt the skin off the bone and permanently disfigure it. In addition to the enormous ever-present physical pain, burns also leave deep-rooted mental and physical scars. Many burn victims suffer from low self-esteem due to the changes in the victim’s face and/or body caused by the burns. If you were burned by another, whether negligently, recklessly or intentionally, you may seek compensatory damages for your burns. If you were burned by a defective product or by an accident, you may seek compensation from the insurance companies and other responsible parties. To obtain additional information about pursuing a personal injury case for the damages inflicted from your burns, The Sacramento Law Offices of Shepard & Haven offers a complimentary case review, which can be scheduled by calling 916-877-9443.
- 450,000 – burn injuries receiving medical treatment in 2012
- 3,400 – fire and burn deaths per year in 2011, 2012, 2008 (most recently compiled data)
- 40,000 – hospitalizations related to burn injury
- 30,000 – hospitalizations related to burn injuries at hospital burn centers
- 96.1% – overall survival rate, 2002 – 2011 burn admissions to burn centers
- Gender – 69% male, 31% female
- Ethnicity – 59% Caucasian, 19% African American, 15% Hispanic, 7% other
- Admission Cause: 44% fireplace, 33% scald, 9% contact, 4% electrical, 3% chemical, 7% other
- Place of Occurrence: 69% home, 9% occupational, 7% street/highway, 5% recreational/sport, 10% other
- Source: American Burn Association, 2012 Fact Sheet
As can be inferred from these statistics, many more burns occur in the home environment than in the work or corporate environment. Liability still attaches to the negligent party and insurance companies must be dealt with.
Compensatory Damages for Burn Injuries
If you were burned due to the negligence of another person or group of persons, you may seek compensation for medical and hospital expenses, lost income, lost future earnings, pain and suffering, property damage and much more. If your burn was due to a defective product or a design flaw in the manufacturing of a product, compensation may be pursued against the insurers and possibly the principals as well as other parties associated with the faulty product.
The Law Offices of Shepard & Haven – Personal Injury and Burn Representation – No Fees Unless We Win Your Case
The Sacramento Law Offices of Shepard & Haven provides aggressive, experienced and knowledgeable legal representation for clients who have been burned in fires, as well as other personal injury cases. We provide compassionate, caring and motivated legal representation to those who seek to hold the wrongdoer – also known as the tortfeasor – responsible for their actions. If they breached a duty to the public they must be held accountable for the negligent conduct. In extreme cases where the conduct was of an especially egregious nature, punitive damages may be possible, an action which is taken to punish the wrongdoer for their conduct. To schedule a complimentary consultation, contact our offices at 916-877-9443. Our attorneys also handle wrongful death cases in Sacramento, Stockton and the surrounding areas.