In an amputation case, there may be many plaintiffs and defendants involved, as well as many insurance companies, all depending on the facts of the case. If there is one or more individual at fault in the case, you, as a plaintiff, have the right to seek compensatory damages from each one of the potentially liable parties. The Law Firm of Shepard & Haven represents clients who have been injured by the negligent, reckless or intentional conduct of others.
Possible Liability for Amputations
Amputations may result from an enormous range of possibilities, including, but obviously not limited to, the following:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Machinery accidents
- Construction company accidents
- Heavy equipment operations
- Doctor’s offices
- Emergency room services
- Animals parks, zoos, animal handlers, ocean-seaquariums
- Elevator and elevator installers
- Building materials of all kinds
- Events where hundreds, thousands or hundreds of thousands of people gather, such as a sporting event
- Machine building equipment
- Trucking and cargo hauling companies
- Many, many other scenarios
If you experienced an injury that immediately or ultimately led to an amputation, you may seek compensatory damages from those parties who were responsible for the amputation. Again, the details will vary according to each case.
Damages for Amputations
In general, there are two types of damages, non-economic damages and economic damages.
- Non-economic damages:
- Includes pain and suffering
- The loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish and more
- It is difficult – sometimes almost impossible – to place a dollar value on non-economic damage, but it must be done in order to arrive at a fair case result. If an amputee can accurately convey exactly what it is like to live life as an amputee, it will usually improve the value of their case considerably.
- Economic damages:
- Includes past and future medical expenses
- Hospital expenses
- Loss of past income, loss of present and future income
- Property loss
One of the questions the continually comes up in regard to amputations is the cost of replacing outmoded prosthetic devices with new, computerized, state of the art prostheses. Insurance companies are loathe to pay money where they feel they don’t have to; for the amputee, obviously obtaining the most advanced technology is of utmost importance. Your lawyers will fight for you to obtain the best medical prosthesis available.
Contact a Sacramento Personal Injury Amputee Attorney for a Free Case Review; No Fees Unless We Win Your Case
The Sacramento Law Offices of Shepard & Haven represents amputee victims and their families, as well as many other personal injury cases. As compassionate, caring and attentive amputation injury and wrongful death attorneys, both Ronald Haven and Kenneth Shepard each have more than 35 years of experience representing clients in and around the Sacramento area and throughout the state. They offer a complimentary case review that will give you the opportunity to sit down, discuss your case and review your possible outcomes. There are no fees involved unless your case is settled or won in court before judge and jury. To schedule a free case review in Sacramento or Yuba City – or elsewhere – call 916-877-9443. Our Sacramento amputation injury lawyer will be honored to help you.